Wednesday, May 6, 2009

POLITICS

Lately I have been highly interested in the world of politics. And I've been researching the Conservative and Liberal views, trying to get a better idea of what I am. Because I don't want to be the person who doesn't know what they believe, only what their parents believe. I respect my parents' opinions but I would like to be my own independent person and show what I truly believe inside. After researching, I finally came to the conclusion that I am Conservative. There are a few issues that I remain more neutral on though, illegal immigration being a big one for me. Part of me is Liberal because I think its fair if someone comes to the U.S. in search of a better life, and to start over. And it is a very long and hard process to become a legal citizen of the U.S. But, the other part of is Conservative and agrees that Illegal Immigration is wrong. Here is a passage that a guy wrote as an example of Illegal Immigration.

Assume for a moment that the United States of America is like a homeowner who went for a long walk and left his garage door open. Inside the garage, he left his new car, his wallet, cell phone and a briefcase full of cash in it. Another man, destitute of money and down on his luck, walks by and notices the garage is open and unattended. He has a family to feed and has been unemployed for several months. He enters the garage and no one notices him. He finds the wallet, the cell phone and the briefcase in the car. He takes both the wallet and the briefcase and disappears into the city to enjoy what he took without permission. He tells himself that he only broke into the man's home because he needed to feed his family and because he was having financial difficulties. He didn't hurt anyone in the process and he rationalizes that the homeowner can always file a claim with his credit card companies. He won't miss his money and will recover just fine. When the homeowner returns from his long walk, he finds out that he's been robbed and files a report with the local police. In turn, the police say that there is nothing they can do since there are no witnesses. The police suggests that the homeowner locks up his garage door next time to prevent another illegal entry and theft.

Same sex marriage is also a tough one for me. I totally DO NOT agree with it but I say let people do what they want to do. God put us on this earth to choose what we want, and if they choose to be gay and go to hell, let them. Stopping people from getting married is not going to stop them from being gay. I just thing that there are things, we can fix, that are more important to worry about. Let me say it one more time, I DO NOT agree with same sex marriage.
Those are just a few of my opinions on this crazy, messed-up world.

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say, Andersyn, that I love you and am so proud of how smart you are! I love that you are looking into things yourself. By the way, there's a lot more out there than just liberal vs conservative and democrat vs republican. Personally, I've decided this year that I'm not even a republican anymore . . . but that's a whole other discussion. Anyway, I just wanted to add one thing about same-sex marriage that maybe you hadn't considered. It's not really about stopping them from marrying because, you're right, even though you disagree with that lifestyle, they should be able to do as they wish with their life. HOWEVER, allowing same-sex marriage by law opens a floodgate of problems for churches. For example -- a gay couple could sue your bishop/the church for refusing to perform a marriage in an lds church building. Or they could sue and eventually shut down LDS adoption agencies for refusing to allow same-sex couples to adopt a baby from them. The list goes on and on. The repercussions of Prop 8 or whatever it is in your state, go way beyond merely allowing two people to get married. So there you have it and sorry this is so long. In our stake conference last year, Elder Ballard (I think it was him) spoke to us about all these things so we'd understand it wasn't just us being against this group of people - because we can accept them as people even if we don't believe in their lifestyle -- but it's about the rights of the church being taken away in the process of allowing these marriages. And, therefore, it is VERY important. love ya!

    ReplyDelete